As we are experiencing another frigid day, our thoughts turn to the signs of spring.
- Sweet corn seed has arrived.
- Both children are back to their respective colleges (counting down the days until spring break).
- Kindergarten teachers called to schedule a field trip this spring.
Some of the things taking place on the farm this week include the following:
- Finalizing seed purchases for spring planting.
- Hauling/spreading cattle manure.
- Replacing/repairing parts in the hog buildings.
- Hauling corn to feed mill for some of the cattle feed to be mixed.
- Bookkeeping – including filing and cleaning office for new year.
- Speaking to 4th graders about The Pork Industry in Iowa.
It was my pleasure to be a guest speaker two mornings last week in a fourth grade classroom sharing the importance of the pork industry to Iowa. www.iowapork.org and the Quick Facts Book www.pork.org were some of the resources that I found useful for my presentation. The Quick Facts Book can be downloaded. It has so much information! Some of the things that I would have liked to included (Did not have time for everything.) consisted of great resources for math class with the graphs and charts.
I also like the following quote that was found in the book: “What did President Harry Truman have to say about hogs? ‘No man should be allowed to be president who does not understand hogs.’ ”
Eat pork! Take care. Stay warm!