22 DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!
A warm place on a December day, the company of family, and a couple hundred hams…. can you think of a better way to spend your birthday? Well, yesterday, I was lucky enough to be able to spend my birthday just that way… loading pigs!
Loading pigs is always a family affair. Yesterday Dad, Mom, Grandpa, Jacob, and I got to spend some quality time together while loading pigs. The pigs on our farm are raised in a climate controlled hog barn, so no matter how cold it is outside, it is always nice and warm in the pig barn. In fact, it is generally warmer in the pig building than it is in our house.
There are also many other advantages to raising pig in a climate controlled pig barn:
- Pigs are healthier and more comfortable when they aren’t exposed to extreme temperatures. Indoor facilities feature advanced climate control to keep pigs at a comfortable temperature regardless of the weather outside.
- Feed and water can be automated and very carefully monitored in accordance with each pig’s need.
- Buildings are designed and maintained to keep out predators and parasites. This protection is vital to prevention of pig injury and disease. Feed and water are less susceptible to contamination.
- Ventilation systems ensure the health and safety of animals and facility workers.
- Pig barns usually are equipped with curtains that can be raised or lowered to let in fresh air and natural light.
- Facilities employ strict biosecurity practices to help ensure diseases are not accidentally introduced to the animals.
The above information and many other found facts can be found at Porkcares.org: 7\=-http://www.porkcares.org/our-practices/todays-pig-farming/benefits-of-raising-pigs-indoors
After talking about pigs, it only makes sense to share a pork recipe. The Christmas season is usually filled with many sweets, so every now and then it is nice to have a savory treat. Ham spread makes for the perfect savory treat. It’s easy, fast, and delicious.